Are you an experienced Costs Negotiator looking for your next career move?
If so, Keoghs are recruiting for our Technical Claims Team in Southampton.
The Costs Negotiators are Legal Assistants in the costs team who undertake a variety of file handling and non-file handling tasks to support the costs team. There are two levels, Junior Costs Negotiator and Senior Costs Negotiator, depending on experience.
The Senior Costs Negotiator will work on defendant large loss cases, drafting and negotiating budgets, drafting points of dispute and negotiating costs settlements as well as advising lawyers in the Complex Injuries team on costs points.
The Junior Costs Negotiator will have a variety of file handling and non file handling workload and as such will receive a reduced chargeable hours target to reflect this. The right candidate will be keen to progress and develop their skills to move towards a more senior role over time.
Keoghs is one of the leading providers of claims-related services to insurers, businesses and other suppliers to the insurance sector. We combine proven processes, technology and a low cost infrastructure with deep legal and insurance market knowledge. This enables us to create individual solutions for each of our clients that match their requirements in terms of quality, performance and value for money.
• Responsible for management of own caseload using in-house case management system including timely and accurate maintenance of the system along with billing and management information – ensuring completeness of records in order to aid business decision making.
• Responsible for hitting chargeable hours target every day.
• Delegation of tasks where available and appropriate to other members of the team.
• Drafting Precedent H
• Preparing Precedent R on opponent’s Precedent H and compliance with Costs Case Management Orders
• Preparing points of dispute and considering replies.
• Reviewing files.
• Identifying strengths and weaknesses and preparing a document to reflect this.
• Preparing cost strategy reports.
• Settling costs.
• Dealing with correspondence and telephone calls.
• Undertaking periodic reviews of files in line with Client requirements.
• Updating reports.
• Meeting agreed performance targets.
• Provide written updates by email or letter to clients detailing case activity to ensure that they receive up to date and accurate information about progress when requested.
• Instruct Counsel or Costs Lawyer to attend Detailed Assessment or alternatively conduct own advocacy.
• To ensure compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct 2011.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
• 12 months experience as a minimum in a similar costs negotiator role either claimant or defendant.
• Previous experience of client liaison.
• Experience of preparing Points of Dispute and considering replies.
• Good standard of education – 3 GCSE’s grade C or above or equivalent including Maths, English & Science as a minimum.
• Good telephone negotiation skills
• Previous experience of handling own caseload.
• Have an understanding of the Detailed Assessment process, Cost Case Laws and Insurance Litigation practice & process.
• Ability to use own initiative.
• Ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
• Excellent listening and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to make decisions.
• Ability to remain calm under pressure.
• Ability to act as part of a team.
• Proficient IT skills.
Desirable for Senior Costs Negotiator:
• Education – Degree and/or LPC and/or ALCD.
• Experience of Cost Budgeting
• Conducted own advocacy
What you can expect from us:
· A learning culture with employee development at the heart of the people development pathway
· Excellent flexible benefits including Annual leave entitlement and Healthcare Cash Plan as standard
· Monday to Friday – 35 hours per week
· 25 days holiday per year (opportunity to buy & sell 3 days)
· Family Cover Private Medical Insurance Bupa
· Health Cash Plan
· Life assurance
· Critical Illness Cover
· PHI/Income Protection
· Pension Contribution based
· Cycle to Work Scheme*
· Tech Scheme*
· Season Ticket Loan*
· Car Parking Scheme*
· Gym Flex*
· Access to Online Discount Sites
· Discounted Gourmet Society Membership
· Discounted Tickets for Merlin Attractions nationwide
· Discounts at local retail outlets
*after successfully completing probation
Our culture is focused on making Keoghs sustainable and successful for our people and clients, with this our five values are at the heart of everything we do;
• We listen, are down to earth and supportive
• We work together towards a common goal
• We’re friendly with a can do attitude
• We care about our clients
• We evolve
Keoghs is a Disability Confident employer and we endeavour to recruit from the widest possible pool of suitable candidates.
If you require any adjustments or special arrangements to be made to our application process on account of a disability please contact or telephone 01204 672278 and ask to speak to Recruitment.
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for interest in this position and in our organisation.
Strictly no agencies please.
Practice Area: Technical Claims
Business Unit: Complex Injury Southampton
Office: Keoghs Southampton