As a chef you will work within our busy catering team to prepare and serve a range of high quality, home cooked meals and snacks for patients and for our successful Orangery Cafe. A High level of baking skills is essential. Weekend working required.
Post initially on 2 month contract to cover maternity leave, with longer term possibilities.
The chef is responsible for working in the kitchen to assist the Catering Supervisor with the whole range of food preparation and cooking activities and for meeting with patients and visitors to take requests for meals.
A good knowledge of health care related nutritional requirements in a care setting required.
Specifically he or she will
- act under the direction of the Catering Supervisor to ensure that ingredients are utilised and food preparation is undertaken in a manner consistent with the provision of well cooked and properly presented dishes.
- undertake the baking of home-made cakes and scones for sale in the cafe and for the enjoyment of patients and visitors.
- work with, and from time to time deputise for, the Catering Supervisor to ensure the timely preparation, cooking and delivery of food to patients and others, ensuring always that accepted standards of preparation and presentation are maintained
- maintain all personal equipment in a safe and fit for purpose condition
- maintain working areas, tools and equipment in a clean and sanitary condition
- contribute to the maintenance of all stores areas, including freezers and refrigerators, in a clean and tidy condition, with proper dating and rotation of stocks
- ensure that all necessary supplies are on hand and in good condition by informing the Catering Supervisor of usage and stock levels; or, in the absence or on the instructions of the senior cook, by placing orders with accredited suppliers
- keep up to date with culinary trends appropriate to the nature of St Mary’s food service and propose menu additions or changes
- ensure that all assigned duties are undertaken and completed on time and to the required standard
- undertake other duties as assigned by the Catering Supervisor
- hold a food hygiene certificate
- use resources economically and efficiently
- comply, and ensure others’ compliance as appropriate, with all relevant legislative and regulatory requirements (including those for mandatory training programmes) and with St Mary’s current policies
- identify and meet personal objectives and take responsibility for personal professional development
This job description is intended to be not a complete list of duties and responsibilities but a guide to the job. It will be periodically reviewed in the light of developing work requirements. Incumbents will be expected to contribute to such reviews.