Brighton College are looking to recruit a Debating Coach to join their team. In return you'll earn a competitive hourly rate.
The Debating Coach Role
With a highly academic pupil cohort and a high profile, debating at Brighton College has gone from strength to strength in recent years. The College has gained an enviable reputation for securing results at some of the most prestigious national competitions at both Junior and Senior level.
Recent successes include a third place at the LSE Schools Competition, Silver Final winners in the LSE Junior Competition, and three pupils being invited to trial for the National English Debating team. The successful applicant will help to build on the recent success and help secure the College as one of the top debating schools in the country.
Alongside the weekly training sessions for senior and junior debaters, there is a thriving internal competition for junior and senior debaters each year, and the activity has a prominent place in the school calendar.
The hours of work will be dictated by the debating programme. The successful candidate will be required to run the weekly training sessions at the College and be available to accompany pupils to evening and weekend fixtures, as directed by the Head of Debating.
As our Debating Coach you'll need:
- To be a graduate with a proven track record of success as a debater in competitions at university level or above
- The desire to coach young people and nurture their talents
- Experience of coaching young people, and some tried and tested methods for developing the potential of our highly able and motivated pupils.
- Wide experience of judging National Schools' Competitions
- To have acted as a chief adjudicator at a regional or national level
- Familiarity with different debating formats, especially British Parliamentary style debating, is vital
- The ability to inspire young people with a passion for debating and the ability to significantly enhance their skills
As our Debating Coach responsibilities will include:
- Organise and run weekly training sessions for both Junior and Senior debaters.
- Assist in the preparation of pupils for external debating competitions and enter teams accordingly.
- Assist the Head of Debating with all debating related administration.
- Accompany pupils on trips to external competitions and provide reports for internal newsletters and publications.
- Provide training for academic staff involved in debating.
- Assist with the running and organization of the annual Junior and Senior House debating competitions.
- Assist with the development of debating at the London Academy of Excellence (LAE) with a view to establishing an annual debate between these two partnered schools.
- Help establish and organize an annual debating competition at the College, with a view to it becoming a premier event in the south-east schools debating calendar.
- The ability to play a role in delivering the College's Model United Nations activity is also desirable.
- Brighton College provides a contributory pension scheme, which all eligible employees will be automatically enrolled into within 3 months of commencement of employment
- Well-being programme including; healthy heart checks, access to books, magazines and DVDs from the College Library, fitness classes and English Language classes
- Sodexo Lifestyle Saving Programme
- Opportunities available for on the job training and professional development
Closing date: midday on Tuesday 10th November 2020
Interviews to take place week commencing 16th November 2020
If you feel you are the right candidate for this role then please click 'apply' now! We would love to hear from you!
Brighton College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; the successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced disclosure through the DBS...... click apply for full job details