We currently have an excellent opportunity for a Data Centre Engineer to join a highly technical team providing network and infrastructure support across two data centres in Billingham and Sunderland.
Working as part of an established team, the role will be site based providing onsite IT infrastructure support across two large data centres in the north east of England.
The core duties of the engineer will involve racking and stacking of hardware, configuration of IT equipment, incident support and structured and patch cable installations (fibre and copper), however the role is varied and the engineer will be involved in most aspects of the day to day running and support of the IT hardware located within the data centre environment.
As the role is based across two data centres, the nature of work dictates that a driving license and access to a vehicle is essential.
The tasks will include (but not limited to):
- Installation/Move/Add/Change tasks for scheduled work.
- On-site operational support for break fix incidents.
- Patching and structured cabling installations and decommissions.
- Work under the direction of remote and local teams to install and configure IT equipment.
- Troubleshooting connectivity issues including trunk cabling, patching and configuration issues.
- Initiates and owns escalation to the appropriate supplier staff and or customer representative for resolution that require assistance of more technical resources within the Supplier or Customer organisation.
- Coordinate and manage escalations for data issues with supplementary service providers performing additional data services.
- Participate in an on-call rota to cover break fix issues outside of business hours.
- Support IMAC work where they is a requirement for this to be supported out of hours.
- Maintain data centre documentation including patch schedules and asset inventories.
- Role may require travel between 2 data centres, less than 30 miles apart, to support onsite tasks where required.
Desired skills and attributes
- Connectivity troubleshooting experience, ideally on multiple hardware platforms such as server, storage and network devices.
- Hardware knowledge from a variety of manufactures including Cisco, HP, Dell, Checkpoint, F5 and Riverbed.
- Basic knowledge of AC/DC voltage.
- Ability to apply subject matter knowledge to resolve general support issues.
- Experience of cable installations, both backbone and device patching.
- Ability to use tools and measurements which are compliant with cabling certification process for fibre and copper infrastructure.
- Ability to look for opportunities to improve existing processes and workflow designs.
- Excellent written and verbal communications; ability to listen and interface with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and react to situations with a sense of urgency and problem ownership.
- Ability to adhere to strict data centre guidelines and processes.
SC clearance is also a requirement for this position and is highly advantageous if you already have it. However we can help the Data Centre Engineer achieve this once started with the business.
This is an excellent opportunity to join us and as an employee you will gain access to a large library of training courses and accreditations to help further your skills and development.
We also offer an excellent benefits package including personal pension plan, and various other flexible benefits including private medical cover, life insurance, and flexible holiday to name a few.
Apply now for consideration.
By completing the application process you agree that ES Field Delivery UK LTD (FDS) may contact you in line with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in connection with your application via the contact details you provided in relation to the vacancy you have applied for...... click apply for full job details